All NewsVictorville News

Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed Against Local Skilled Nursing Facility

VICTORVILLE-( A wrongful death lawsuit, alleging that Spring Valley Post Acute LLC and Knolls Convalescent Hospital Inc. was responsible for the February 2015 death of 69-year-old, Keith Anderson.

In a lawsuit filed by a Long Beach Law Firm by the name of Garcia, Artigliere & Medby those responsible for the care of Anderson are being accused of elder abuse, negligence, negligent hiring and supervision, fraud, and wrongful death. The allegations also include withholding the required care from the patient in order to prevent him from developing pressure sores and infection which lead to his death.

Mr. Anderson, a stroke victim was left with paralysis to the left side of his body. He was transferred from St. Mary’s Medical Center in Apple Valley over to Knolls Convalescent Hospital in Victorville for rehabilitation therapy, but the complaint states that due to the hospital’s negligence as far as updating to his records, he did not receive the therapy necessary.

A nursing assistant, according to the complaint, left Anderson in a soiled diaper for an extended amount of time and during a bath ripped out his catheter by accident. Following this incident, Anderson had several urinary tract infections. No disciplinary action was taken against the nursing assistant and Anderson was left in her care.

Barbara Robinson, the wife of Anderson, noticed what she believed was neglect causing bedsores and the decline in his health.

Robinson subsequently set up for him to be moved from the facility. Just before his discharge, in January 2015, according to the complaint, Mrs. Robinson was called and told that her Anderson was admitted to the hospital since he was not eating or drinking. Anderson was taken to Desert Valley Hospital and was diagnosed with severe dehydration, malnutrition, infected bed sores, congestive heart failure, pneumonia, sepsis, urinary tract infection and fever.

The complaint states that,  “It was later determined that the staff did not provide him the necessary intravenous fluids.” He remained in intensive care until on February 14, 2015, he died of irreversible “injuries” being attributed to, according to the complaint, “continuous egregious neglect.”

“The defendants’ refusal of their legal obligation to properly care for the patients of the hospital is inconceivable,” says attorney Stephen Garcia. “Mr. Anderson was irremediably injured by the facility and died as a direct result of their obvious disregard for his health and well-being.”

Back to top button