VICTORVILLE, Calif. (VVNG.com) –– Police are still searching for a violent male robbery suspect responsible for two separate machete attacks that wounded a woman and a girl in Victorville two weeks ago.
The first attack occurred Aug. 27 in the community of Eagle Ranch and the second on Sept. 1 in the community of Brentwood, less than 5 miles apart, according to Victorville police. In both cases, the suspect pulled up in a car outside the victim’s homes and then jumped out and attacked them as they were attempting to enter their residence.
In the Aug. 27 attack, a woman had parked in the driveway of her home in the 12500 block of Tablerock Lane at around 11 p.m. and was walking to her front door when a small dark-colored sedan pulled up in the street.
Within seconds, the suspect exited his vehicle and ambushed the woman while using a machete-style weapon to strike her in an attempt to steal her purse. The suspect then ran back to the car and sped away.
That woman was airlifted to a hospital with critical injuries and is still recovering.
In the Sept. 1 attack, a 16-year-old girl who believes she was followed home after dropping of a friend had parked in the driveway of her home in the 14800 block of Coachman Road at around 10:30 p.m. and was walking to her front door when a similar attack occurred.
Again, the suspect pulled up outside the home in a small dark-colored sedan, ran towards the victim with a machete-like weapon and struck her in the arm while trying to take her purse, then fled.
The girl was hospitalized after sustaining a deep laceration to her arm during the attack. She said her injuries may have been more severe had it not been for a jean jacket she was wearing.
The only surveillance footage released was from the first attack, but the grainy footage was not clear enough to make out the license plate or type of vehicle the man was driving.
(Scroll past video to continue reading.)
The suspect, dubbed by the local community as “the slasher,” is described as a Black male, between 16 and 24 years old, 5-foot-9 to 6 feet tall with a very thin build. In both cases, he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, police said.
Rumors circulated on social media last week that the “slasher” had been captured after an arrest of a 16-year-old male was made.
“A 16-year-old was assessed for unrelated charges. A sword was located during the investigation. The suspect was interviewed several times and polygraphed,” San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Detective Scott Nobles told Victor Valley News. “At this point we believe it is not related to the machete attacks, based on the findings during the investigation.”
“At this time no arrest has been made in the machete attack cases. We have worked several leads and are continuing to work several more. We are still asking for the public assistance in identifying the suspect or suspects,” Detective Nobles said.
Anyone with information on the suspect’s identity should call detectives at 760-241-2911.