WRIGHTWOOD, Calif. — Wrightwood received about 4 inches of fresh snow Friday night and Saturday, bringing the seven-day total to 16 inches. More snow is expected today, Saturday.
As of Saturday morning, Caltrans has tire chain requirements at the county line west of Wrightwood. Also, Caltrans has not opened the gate at Big Pines to access snow play areas on Highway 2.
For those planning to play in the snow, here are a few reminders to make your visit fun and successful:
1. Snow attracts lots of people to the mountain. Plan ahead, consider leaving early and be prepared for the possibility of traffic delays, in some cases hours. If you can, consider visiting midweek.
2. Chains. You need chains to be on mountain roads or you risk being turned away at Caltrans checkpoints.
3. Place trash in receptacles or take it with you. Bring a trash bag. In past years, we’ve experienced a high volume of broken plastic sleds left across the mountain.
4. Recreation passes are required for many areas popular for snow play. If you do not have an annual pass, $5 Adventure Passes can be purchased at Jensen’s Market and some other local stores and gas stations. Motorists will be ticketed for parking in designated areas without an adventure pass.
5. Be a good neighbor and respect private property. Do not play in residents’ private yards.
6. Parking! If an area is crowded, move on until you find another area. Do not block the road and driveways. Visitors often congregate at the first pullout with snow, but more often than not, the better snow is farther up.
(source: Supervisor Robert Lovingood news release)