VICTORVILLE, Calif. — On Tuesday, October 2, 2018, shortly after 11:00 a.m., an inmate physically assaulted a staff member at the United States Penitentiary in Victorville, California.
Staff immediately responded and secured the area.
The staff member assaulted was taken to the local hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Two other staff members received minor injuries responding to the incident. No other inmates were injured.
The inmate population was returned to their housing units and the institution was placed on limited operational status.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation was notified and the institution will return to full operational status as soon as possible. At no time was the public in danger.
The USP is a high security facility within the Federal Correctional Complex in Victorville, CA, that currently houses 1,165 male offenders.
- Man, 21, parked in the Town Center Parking lot robbed at gunpoint
- 25-year-old on probation back in jail after pursuit in Victorville
- Combative driver trapped in car punches firefighter and kicks deputies
- Apple Fire started by malfunctioning vehicle, authorities seeking witnesses
- Fire restrictions increased in San Bernardino National Forest