CORRECTION @ 11:15 AM – Inciweb and SB County Sheriff’s reported the fire had grown to 7,522 acres on Tuesday morning. They have since corrected the previously released information to 6,963 acres.
HESPERIA, Calif : (VVNG.com)- The Pilot Fire has burned 7,522 acres with 6% containment, prompted mandatory evacuations and school closures, officials said.
As of 6:00 a.m. Tuesday, August 9th the Pilot Fire continues to threaten 5,300 structures. However, no structures have been damaged or destroyed, officials said.
A total of 934 personnel are assigned to the Pilot Fire including, 84 engines, 12 water tenders, 7 helicopters, 8 air tankers, 14 hand crews, and 22 dozers.
The Pilot Fire is currently burning between Pilot Rock Ridge and State Highway 173 in Hesperia. A fire line has been constructed in the Summit Valley area.
The fire crossed Hwy 173 in the Los Flores Ranch area. Firing operations were conducted along Hwy 173 near Deep Creek and progressed southeast toward the Hwy 173 closure gate near Burnt Flats. Crews are constructing dozer line from Pilot Rock to the Lake Arrowhead Community Services District Wastewater Treatment Plant. Aircraft is being used to the extent possible, but visibility is a limiting factor.
Today’s high temperature will reach 83 degrees, with a minimum humidity at 15 percent. Ridgetop winds will be from the south at 20 mph with afternoon gusts reaching 25 mph. Potential for spotting exists from all areas of the fire.
The Pilot Fire was first reported at 12:10 p.m. on August 7th, 2016. Although officials say, the cause of the fire remains under investigation. There is speculation circulating on social media that the fire was started by an off-road vehicle. A photo shared on Facebook by an unknown source shows a green Polaris RZR (quad) fully involved in the area where the fire was first reported.
- The entire community of Deer Lodge Park. Also included is Aleutian Drive, Klondike Drive, Evergreen Lane, Yukon Drive.
- Hwy 173 north and south from Hwy 138 to Arrowhead Lake Road
- Arrowhead Lake Road to Hesperia Lakes Road
- Areas east of Santa Fe Road, south of Ranchero Road to Arrowhead Lake Road, and north of the Spillway
- Areas east of the Mojave River and south of Rock Springs Road to Kiowa Road
- The community of Grass Valley Lake in addition to the area north of Peninsula and North Bay Roads to Hwy 173, and south of Hwy 173 from North Bay Road to Grass Valley Road
- Highway 173 between Highway 138 and Arrowhead Lake Road (Hesperia)
- Arrowhead Lake Road at Ranchero Road (Hesperia)
- Highway 173 at North Bay Road (Lake Arrowhead)
- Grass Valley Road at Brentwood Drive (Deer Lodge Park)
- Forest Service Roads 2N33, 2N17X, 2N36, 2N37
Evacuation Centers and Animal Shelters:
- Evacuation Center: Oak Hills High School
- Reception and Care Center: Rim of the World High School
- Animal Shelter: San Bernardino County Fair Grounds
All News4 days ago
Over 1800 employees laid off at Wireless Advocate inside Costco Wholesale stores
All News6 days ago
8 Injured after car swerves into oncoming traffic in Apple Valley near Tractor Supply
All News5 days ago
Several cars were damaged after a van crashed in the Stater Bros parking lot in Victorville
All News3 days ago
Family and friends searching for 36-year-old Victorville man missing for several days
All News4 days ago
9 people involved in multi-vehicle crash in Phelan Monday morning
15 freeway6 days ago
Two separate crashes occur in 15 Freeway Bypass lane Saturday afternoon
All News4 days ago
Footage shows car narrowly missing other cars after crash in Hesperia
15 freeway5 days ago
4Runner crashes while exiting Oak Hill Road in Hesperia