VICTORVILLE, Calif. (VVNG.com) — Parents with students in the Victor Elementary School District were sent into panic mode after learning their children’s school’s were placed on lockdown here Thursday afternoon.
With limited information provided and rumors of an alleged shooting spreading over social media, many parents drove to the school campuses in hopes of gathering additional information.
Nearly an hour after the lockdowns were lifted, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Spokeswoman Mara Rodriguez confirmed that no shooting had occurred.
Rodriquez said preliminary information indicated that a man went to Brentwood Elementary and had a conversation with the office staff.
“He did not make threats but they felt uncomfortable. The District decided to place the schools on lockdown. Deputies identified the man and a short time later he showed up at the District Office. Deputies located a firearm on the man and he was taken into custody,” Rodriguez said.
At about 1:40 pm, VESD officials shared the following statement:
“This is an important message for Brentwood, Village and West Palms. Due to law enforcement activity in the area, we are placing these schools on lockdown. We will update you as soon as the sheriff’s department clears the situation. As a precaution, all other VESD schools were placed on safeguard status.”
VESD issued an update at 2:11 pm, informing the public the lockdown had been lifted and dismissal would begin as normally scheduled.
According to several parents who have contacted Victor Valley News, many of the school buses are running 10-20 minutes lates. So, if you are a parent waiting at a bus stop, you should expect delays.
An email to the sheriff’s department requesting further information on what prompted the lockdowns had not been answered at the time of this article.
Additional information will be updated as it becomes available.
Want more news? Join the conversation in the Victor Valley’s largest & most popular newsgroup: Victor Valley News.