ADELANTO, Calif. (VVNG.com) — A 24-year-old male bitten by a Mojave Green Rattlesnake was airlifted to a trauma center Wednesday night.
At about 9:30pm, firefighters with San Bernardino County Fire were dispatched to a General Atomics in the 9700 block of Yucca Road in Adelanto reference an employee bitten by a snake.
According to SB County radio traffic, the victim was bitten in the right index by a 24 inch Mojave Green. The male was reported as being conscious and alert with an elevated heartbeat and ‘pretty good swelling’ to his finger.
County firefighters requested the use of helicopter H325 to airlift the patient to Loma Linda University Medical Center for treatment.
The ‘Crotalus Scutulatus’ or more commonly known as the Mojave Green is a highly venomous pit viper species found in the deserts of the southwestern United States and central Mexico. It is perhaps best known for its potent venom, which is considered the world’s most potent rattlesnake venom.
If you have a rattlesnake in/around your home and wish to have it removed contact High Desert Wildlife Control at (760)961-5980 or visit their website: http://hdtrapping.com/snake-control/
In the event of a bite:
- Remain calm, and move away from the snake.
- Immediately call 9-1-1 or send someone for help and safely transport the snake bite victim to the nearest emergency medical facility for treatment.
- Remove wristwatches, rings or anything constrictive.
- Gently wash the area with soap and water. Keep the bite at or below heart level.
- Try to remember what the snake looked like (but do not attempt to kill or catch it!)