Caltrans District 8 shared important updates on routes for people making travel plans to play in the snow in the San Bernardino mountains.
According to Caltrans, you are required to bring chains, and in some locations you will need to put them on. If you have no immediate business on the mountain, go a different day! The snow and beautiful communities will still be there! ETA for closed roads unknown!
- SR-18 from 40th to SR-138 (Crestline) is open both direction. Chains required!
- SR-18 closed both directions from Green Valley Lake Rd to Big Bear (front side near Arrowbear to Big Bear)
- SR-18 open in both directions from Lucerne to Big Bear. Chains required! (This is the only way in and out of Big Bear) if you are not familiar with this road, go up a different day and wait for an friendlier route to open.
- SR-138 from Miller to Ballsam (backside of Crestline) closed both directions.
- SR-138 from Cajon to Phelan is open both directions.
- SR-330 going upbound is closed to all except residents with valid ID! Going downbound is open to all! Those who are coming from Running Springs, Arrowbear, Green Valley Lake, Arrowhead and Crestline can use SR-330 or SR-18 to get off the Mtn. Chains required!!
- SR-38 closed in both directions from Mill Creek to Hatchery Drive.
- SR-2 is open both directions. Chains required to at least be on or in the vehicle with you. R2 level in effect in the area!