HELENDALE:(VVNG.com)- Authorities have released the name of the driver killed in Tuesday afternoon’s crash on National Trails Highway.
Thomas Lee Duitsman, a 58-year-old Barstow resident was pronounced dead at the scene after his 1998 Chevy pick-up truck collided head-on with a tractor-trailer.
The two vehicle collision was reported just after 12:00 PM, on May 31, 2016, along National Trails Highway (Route 66) at the intersection of Holcomb Ranch Road in Helendale.
According to authorities, the pick-up truck was traveling eastbound on National Trails Highway and the tractor-trailer was traveling westbound. For unknown reasons the Chevy drifted into oncoming traffic and struck the semi.
Duitsman was pronounced dead at the scene and his passenger was airlifted to a trauma hospital for treatment of injuries.
The collision is under investigation by the California Highway Patrol.
- Fire restrictions increased in San Bernardino National Forest
- Dive team recover body of boater missing in Big Bear Lake since Saturday
- No injuries reported following drive-by shooting in Victorville
- Apple Fire burns over 20,000 acres and is 5% contained
- Police investigate shooting at High Desert Inn in Hesperia