VICTORVILLE, Calif. (VVNG.com) — A driver who looked down at his cell phone was critically injured in a Tuesday morning rollover crash, officials said.
It happened at about 7:21 AM on July 21, 2020, in the area of Air Expressway and Adelanto Road in Victorville.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Mara Rodriguez told VVNG the 33-year-old male from Hesperia was traveling westbound on Air Expressway, near Phantom West Drive, in a 2003 Chevy S-10 pickup.
“He looked down at his cell phone and inadvertently steered into oncoming traffic lanes,” stated Rodriguez. “When he attempted to steer back into his lane, he overcorrected and drove onto the dirt shoulder of the northside of the road and lost control of the pickup.”
Rodriguez said the pickup overturned and the man sustained major injuries to his head during the crash.
Firefighters requested a helicopter and the male was airlifted to a nearby trauma center for treatment. An update on his condition was not available.
“Distracted driving is dangerous, claiming 2,841 lives in 2018 alone. Among those killed: 1,730 drivers, 605 passengers, 400 pedestrians and 77 bicyclists. NHTSA leads the national effort to save lives by preventing this dangerous behavior.”–NHTSA
- Police Arrest Transient After Burglary at Wimpey’s Pawn Shop in Victorville
- Altercation over wearing a mask at a Rancho Cucamonga gas station turns violent
- 2 homeless women arrested for possession of stolen vehicle in Victorville
- Apple Valley man, 21, arrested for Elder Abuse after pushing relative to the ground
- Town of Apple Valley offers day camp, reopens fields for youth sports