Candles are a great way to create a warm glow for your home and can add an elegant touch to holiday decor. But candles are an open flame in your home, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
In December, 12% of home candle fires begin with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year. On average, 23 home candle fires are reported per day. More than one-third of home candle fires started in the bedroom. And 60% of home candle fires occur when some form of combustible material is left or placed too close to the candle.
Battery operated candles are a safe alternative to real candles. They look and smell like real candles and are easy to find in holiday themes. Plus, if you find one you really like you can use it for many years! However, if you decide you want to use real candles in your home, just remember to “Candle with Care”.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
- Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach, in a locked cabinet.
For more holiday decorating safety tips, visit https://www.sbcfire.org/SafetyTips/CandleSafetyTips.aspx. The San Bernardino County Fire Department wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.
All News5 days ago
NB-15 freeway closed near Barstow due to fatal officer involved shooting
All News7 days ago
Driver airlifted from crash on Air Expressway in Victorville
All News4 days ago
Coroner ID’s driver killed in crash involving school bus on National Trails Highway
Apple Valley News6 days ago
Apple Valley in-person voting sites open Oct 26
All News3 days ago
3 people airlifted from crash on Palmdale Road in Phelan
Adelanto News4 days ago
3 suspects wanted in connection with a carjacking in Adelanto
All News3 days ago
Pedestrian struck by vehicle Friday night on Mojave Drive in Victorville
Adelanto News2 days ago
29-year-old man shot and killed in Adelanto