All NewsFeatured Stories

Concerned Family Ask For Publics Help

On January 10, 2014, it is believed that 16-year-old Mariah Cano and her 17-year-old boyfriend, Jairo, ran away from their Oceanside residence have yet to be heard from.

Mariah has family in the local Victor Valley who are asking for the communities help in staying vigilant and reporting any sightings of her.

“she’s been missing since the 10th, and although from the Oceanside area, she could be anywhere.” stated her Victorville cousin, Val Adauto.

Please contact the San Diego Police Dept if spotted: (619) 531-2000

What to do if your child has run away

  1. Immediately call your local law enforcement agency.
  2. After you have reported your child missing to law enforcement, call the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST® (1-800-843-5678).

Ask law enforcement to enter information about your child into the FBI’s National Crime Information Center database, known as NCIC. Federal law requires a specific, timely response from law enforcement agencies. If you have any difficulties getting law enforcement to take a report or enter information about your child into this database see the federal laws listed in the Legal Resources for Runaway Childrensection. Also contact NCMEC at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) or your missing child clearinghouse.

When contacting NCMEC be prepared to provide detailed biographical information about your child as well as information about the circumstances surrounding the runaway event.

How can NCMEC’s case management team help?

The case management team will coordinate the creation and dissemination of posters to help generate leads. Information about your child must be entered in the FBI’s National Crime Information Center so a poster can be created. The case management team will assist in forwarding leads called into NCMEC to the investigating law enforcement agency. It will also make appropriate referrals to families in crisis and needing emotional support to NCMEC’s Family Advocacy Division and/or Team HOPE.

For available services and support see NCMEC’s Victim and Family Support and Team HOPE services.

What if I believe my child is being victimized through prostitution?

When you make a report with law enforcement and NCMEC let all parties know of your suspicion and the basis of your belief. The case management team will coordinate with other NCMEC divisions as well as local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. For more information contact NCMEC at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).

Other resources

Back to top button