“Despite being considered “healthy,” adolescents are likely to purchase just as many calories at Subway as at McDonald’s.
While fast food restaurants recently have worked to market meal choices as healthy, it is unclear whether most individuals choose a healthy meal in these situations. To examine this question, this study examines whether adolescents purchasing food at Subway, a restaurant marketed as “healthy,” purchase fewer calories than at McDonald’s, a competing chain.
Conducted during May 2011, adolescents (97) aged 12 to 21 years of age in the South Los Angeles area participated. This study used each participant as his or her control to assess purchasing behavior. Adolescents ate a meal at each restaurant on different days, and submitted their receipts to the researchers for analysis.
- Adolescents purchased 1,038 calories at McDonald’s and 955 calories at Subway. The difference was not statistically significant.
- More calories were obtained from main dishes at Subway (784 versus 572).
- More calories, however, were obtained at McDonald’s than Subway from drinks (151 versus 61), and side dishes (201 versus 35).
- Adolescents purchased more vegetables at Subway as compared to McDonald’s (.57 cup versus .15 cup).
- Despite Subway being marketed as “healthy,” similar amounts of calories were ordered at McDonald’s, indicating that both of these fast food restaurants likely contribute to overeating.”
In: Journal of Adolescent Health By: Lesser LI , Kayekjian K, Velasquez P, Tseng CH, Brook RH, and Cohen DA Publisher: Elsevier Inc. Published: 5/6/2013
All News6 days ago
Driver killed after crashing into tow truck on 15 freeway offramp in Hesperia
All News3 days ago
Quick Shop 66 owners on 7th Street arrested for illegal gambling operation
All News5 days ago
Apple Valley Police warning residents of recent phone scam
All News1 day ago
Coroner Investigators seek help to ID man found dead in San Bernardino
All News5 days ago
Multiple Windows in the Jess Ranch Marketplace damaged by BB rounds
All News4 days ago
Barstow man arrested for possession and distribution of child pornography
All News16 hours ago
Enter Valley Hi Toyota’s Used Car Giveaway the easy way