The California Highway Patrol- Victorville Area urges drivers to plan now for the inclement weather that’s sure to arrive soon. Here are a few safety tips.
- SLOW DOWN. Many crashes are caused by driving too fast for current conditions.
- Leave plenty of distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead to avoid sudden stops and quick lane changes.
- Allow plenty of time for travel. Certain destinations can take longer during the winter.
- Traveling to the mountains? Ensure you have the proper tire chains and they’re in working order.
- Keep your vehicle in good mechanical condition. Check tires, fluids, and windshield wipers.
- It’s a good idea to take extra water, food, medications, blankets and warm waterproof clothing.
- Ensure your cellphone is fully charged and carry an extra battery or charger.
- Don’t be distracted. A second of inattention can cause a lifetime of tragedy.
- If conditions are too dangerous, drivers are encouraged to find a safe location to park their vehicle.
- Remember to always wear your seat belt and don’t drink and drive.
The CHP is committed to doing our part to keep the community safe. We urge every member of the community to be safe and follow the rules of the road. Traffic safety is everyone’s responsibility. For the latest road and traffic condition report, please visit the CHP Website at www.chp.ca.gov.