NewsVictorville News

Pepper spray fumes prompt evacuation of Victorville Hotel

A can of pepper spray was "accidentally" set-off in a room on the 2nd floor.

VICTORVILLE, Calif. (VVNG.com) Guest staying at a Victorville hotel were forced to evacuate their rooms after pepper spray fumes entered the AC unit.

At around 12:23 a.m., on Monday, September 4th, deputies, firefighters, and paramedics were dispatched to the Extended Studio Hotel at 14786 Monarch Blvd. in Victorville.

Per scanner reports, a male subject inside a guest room on the 2nd floor ‘accidentally’ set-off a can of pepper spray.

The spray entered the AC units and quickly spread throughout the second floor prompting the entire hotel to be temporarily evacuated. Many of the guests, including small children, were woken out of their sleep and rushed to the parking lot.

Two ambulances responded to treat as many as six patients experiencing the symptoms of pepper spray. After an evaluation, none of them required medical transportation and were cleared at the scene.

Pepper spray symptoms include intense burning sensation, causes eyes to swell shut, and non-lethal inflammation of mucous membranes.

San Bernardino County Firefighters were able to contain the pepper spray incident confined to the second floor. Guest on the 3rd and 4th floor were allowed to return to their rooms just before 1:00 a.m.

Firefighters continued to ventilate the 2nd floor and all guest were eventually allowed back into their rooms.

At this time it’s unknown if any arrests were made. Information will be updated as it becomes available.

Leave a comment

Comment(s)

Show More

VVNG Staff

Have a news tip or story idea? We'd love to hear from you! Call (760)998-1598 or email News@vvng.com
Close