Thursday , 27 October 2016
San Bernardino County Fire

Occupants Saved by Smoke Detector in House Fire

VICTORVILLE:( On June 3, 2014, at approximately 5:34 a.m., San Bernardino County Fire received multiple reports of a fire in the 12400 block of Second Ave. in the City of Victorville, with multiple reports of a garage and home on fire. A first alarm assignment was dispatched to include 4 engine companies, a truck company and a battalion chief.

The first unit arrived on scene 3 minutes after dispatch due to the close proximity of the firehouse and found an approximate 1900 sq. ft. home with an attached garage involved in heavy smoke and fire. Firefighters aggressively began to fight the garage fire and slow down the fire progression to the home, preventing the fire from breaching the entry door from garage to house. Fire resources on scene were able to confine the fire mainly to the garage although the home suffered some minor smoke damage. A vehicle inside the garage was completely destroyed by the fire.

Due to a working smoke detector, the occupants were able to exit the structure prior to the arrival of the first arriving engine. This fire could have been much worse for the family as it was early in the morning and all were asleep. This fire started in the garage and it could have taken quite some time before the occupants may have known that their garage was on fire.

An estimated $72,000 in damage occurred to the garage, and its’ contents, and the vehicle. No injuries were reported to either firefighters or the public. San Bernardino County Fire investigators were on scene and deemed the fire to be accidental due to smoking material coming into contact with other combustible material in the garage.

The San Bernardino County Fire Department would like to remind the public to always change out their smoke detector batteries on a rotating basis in conjunction with a special occasion i.e. time change, a birthday, or every 6 months. Have you ever heard that “chirp” in your home and couldn’t locate it? Look up and find your smoke detector as it is most likely the cause of that “chirp” due to a bad battery. In this case the working detector saved the occupants lives and it could be your family who benefits from you changing your batteries in your home!

Leave a comment


About Victor Valley News

Victor Valley News has the largest online presence in the High Desert. We provide newsworthy communications to the Victor Valley areas including Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley, Adelanto, Phelan and more. Have a news tip? Want to advertise with us? Want to contribute? Contact us today E-mail: or Phone: (760) 998- 1598.

Check Also

(Arrest File Photo

376 Arrested During Desert Guardian Operation in the Victor Valley

The Towns of Apple Valley, Victorville City, Hesperia City, and the City of Adelanto provided …