EntertainmentHollywoodMovie ReviewsReviews

MOVIE REVIEW: Blade Runner 2049 is a Work of Art Not Suitable for the Impatient

VVNG- The whole time I was watching this amazing-looking film, I was expecting Charlie Chaplin to come out and say that everyone in the movie was being too quiet. Every time I chewed my popcorn, I felt like it sounded thunderous. This is not only the quietest flick I have EVER watched, it’s also one of the slowest. However, the visually striking world that was stunningly created by perfectly blending practical and visual effects makes this motion picture, a must-see for anyone who is willing to spend almost 3 hours appreciating the beauty that is displayed in every nook and cranny of this film.

Blade Runner 2049 is the sequel to the 1982 film, Blade Runner, which starred Harrison Ford as a Blade Runner, which is basically a bounty hunter/cop that hunts down replicants, which are bioengineered androids. Blade Runners are supposed to retire (kill) replicants since they were created for slave labor but rebelled against the humans. This time around, Ryan Gosling is the Blade Runner in the bleak future of 2049 and he is thrust into an investigation to uncover the secret of what could potentially be the next step of the replicants’ evolution.

There wasn’t a single moment where I thought that anyone was in front of a green screen or on a set in a studio somewhere. This really looks like the filmmakers created a futuristic, bleak and realistic universe on a different planet and then went and filmed there. Thanks to the superb special effects, nothing looks fake, AT ALL. The story is simple enough that it could have probably been told in 90 minutes, but I’m guessing that wasn’t enough time to show off the impressive world of 2049 and if anything was changed or sped up or tampered with, you wouldn’t  be able to fully immerse yourself into this reality. One of the only things that bugged me was how annoyingly slow Jared Leto talked, and I am fully aware that I am saying that about him in a movie where EVERYTHING was slow, the way people spoke, moved and acted… heck, even the action scenes felt somewhat slow.

I give Blade Runner 2049, the “Checky™ Seal of Approval!” I wouldn’t classify this movie as “entertaining” I would say it’s more like a soothing, calm, and peaceful expression of artistic talent. I was able to admire every frame of this film as the work of art that it was. It sort of felt like when you go to a museum and you take your time looking at all the paintings or sculptures and everyone there is very quiet and calm. The only thing is that, if you are in a hurry to leave the museum or you are not in the mood to take your time looking at every single thing, then you are going to get anxious or bored being there.

So if you are expecting an action-packed, or hilarious movie… or tons of Harrison Ford (he is in it for like 30 minutes), you will most likely be disappointed and/or bored. I enjoyed 95% of the movie (the other 5% being Jared Leto), and even I don’t think I will ever watch this again (well maybe once more). So I say, if you are still interested in checking this out, watch it in theaters to get the full visual experience, just make sure you take an extra portion of patience with you.

So, what did you think of Blade Runner 2049? Do you agree or disagree with me? Which flick are you checking out this week? Let me know in the comments below. Have a great day at the movies and don’t forget to save me some popcorn.

Official Synopsis: Officer K (Ryan Gosling), a new blade runner for the Los Angeles Police Department, unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. His discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former blade runner who’s been missing for 30 years.

 

Leave a comment

Comment(s)

Show More

Ezequiel

Ezequiel T (a.k.a., El Checky) is a Translator with a lifelong passion for films. He has been reviewing movies for years and has been watching, discussing and sometimes even making them for as long as he can remember. When reviewing them, he has a simple way of recommending a good movie by giving it The “Checky™ Seal Of Approval!” which is due to his childhood nickname. He currently lives in Victorville, CA with his wife of 12 years, Joanna.
Close