The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime.
Below are shopping safety tips which can help you avoid being a victim of theft:
- Always stay alert to your surroundings!! Do not walk thru a parking lot with your head down or looking at your cell phone.
- Avoid shopping at night whenever possible. If you must go out at night, bring a friend or a family member. If no one is available to go shopping with you, let a family member know where you are going and what time to expect you home.
- Dress casually and comfortable; avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Avoid carrying a large amount of cash. Keep cash in your front pocket.
- If possible, do not carry a purse or wallet. Carry only your identification card along with necessary cash, checks or credit card you expect to use.
- If possible pay for purchases with a credit card.
- Immediately notify the credit card company if your credit card was lost or stolen.
- Have your keys ready when you leave the store.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion if danger presents itself.
- Be cautious of strangers approaching you for any reason. Many thieves will use different methods to distract you with the intention of taking your money or merchandise.
- Do not leave packages in plain view in your vehicle. Lock all your merchandise in the truck of your vehicle.
If you place packages in your vehicle and plan to go back inside for more shopping, please consider driving away from your current parking spot so no one knows what valuable items you just left unattended.
(source: Palmdale Sheriff’s Station news release)