Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Burning Candle Scorches Bedroom

The San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to a Commercial Structure Fire, with reports of smoke and flames coming from the apartment. The first of five units arrived to find a bedroom on fire in a single story, eight-unit complex located in the 11000 Block of White Ave. in Adelanto, on October 15, 2013 @ 8:17 p.m

candle_firesThe fire was confined to the room of origin, but smoke and heat did extensive damage to the single bedroom apartment. It took 30 minutes and 13 members of the San Bernardino County Fire Department to control the fire. The occupant of the apartment was not home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

The fire caused $12,000 in damage. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental; the occupant left burning candles unattended.

With the holiday season upon us, care should be taken when using candles in your home. Wind from an open window could blow curtains into burning candles. Candles should be placed in a non-flammable container
(i.e. glass, ceramic, or metal), check for flammable items around a burning candle, do not place candles directly on flammable surface (i.e. wood, plastic, or paper), and never leave burning candles unattended.

The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Christmas Eve.

CANDLE SAFETY TIPS: 

Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.

If you do burn candles, make sure that you… 

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

Source: http://www.firepreventionweek.org

Source: San Bernardino County Fire Department news release

Leave a comment

Comment(s)

About Christie Martin

Former contributor for Victor Valley News

Check Also

Victorville Woman Injured in Pit Bull Attack

VICTORVILLE-(VVNG.com):  A 35-year-old woman was injured as a result of a dog bite to both …